1. Kicking refined sugarOne of the first steps to any detox is saying bye Felicia to refined sugar! Do you ever feel like you're getting intense sugar cravings out of nowhere? Chances are it’s because you ate something with refined sugar earlier in the day. Refined sugar also contains no essential nutrients and is bad for your teeth. It can even cause insulin resistance, which can turn into more serious health issues. A great way to get refined sugar out of your diet is by using a simple substitution *cough* raw honey. Regular sugar is made up of sucrose, which is a combination of two molecules bonded together. Our bodies have to expend way to much energy separating these molecules with their own enzymes before using the sugar for energy. Honey, on the other hand, has special enzymes (holla bees!) that divides the nectar’s molecules. This creates two simple sugars which are super easily absorbed by our bodies! Thanks to all of this, honey has a healthier Glycemic index. The lower the GI, the slower your body absorbs sugar into your bloodstream. The slower the absorption, the healthier the digestion process! By opting for raw honey over regular sugar, you will get something sweet, while also nourishing your body!
2. The Whole30The Whole30 is a great way to hit reset and will help you kick those nasty cravings. The Whole30 is kind of like a stricter version of the paleo diet, but only for 30 days. It’s meant to get you on track enjoying real foods, that won’t cause your hormones to go out of whack or make your gut all rumbly. The guidelines are simple, no consuming any of the following for 30 days:
The goal of the diet is to restart your body by eliminating the ingredients above because the Whole30 considers them to be inflammation causing and are not “natural” foods for us humans to consume (think back to the paleo time period). This diet has had great results among many communities, specifically in the CrossFit world! Check out more at whole30.com.
- Sugar of any kind, real or artificial
- Alcohol in any form, not even for cooking
- Carrageenan, MSG or sulfites
- No re-creation of baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients (like protein pancakes or mug cakes)